The Big Picture
The local Metropolis is an administrative district (diocese) of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, an Eparchy of the Ecumenical Patriarchate. As such, it is guided by the decrees of the Holy and Sacred Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate under the presidency of His All-Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, the Holy Eparchial Synod under the presidency of His Eminence Archbishop Elpidophoros of America, the Charter and Regulations of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.
Our Metropolitan & Metropolis
The Archpastoral ministry of our Presiding Hierarch, His Eminence Metropolitan Savas of Pittsburgh, is aided by the work of various groups who assist in various areas of administration. There are brief descriptions below of the various groups, and links to the right which contain more information.
Full-time, part-time, and volunteer laborers who take responsibility for various areas in the life of the Metropolis. Staff members include:
- Chancellor: Chief administrator of the Metropolis, responsible for overseeing the staff and coordinating the work of the Clergy, Council, and Assembly on behalf of the Metropolitan.
- Metropolitan's Assistant: Coordinates His Eminence's travel and official functions, manages areas of intersection between his personal and official responsibilities, and spearheads special projects on behalf of the Metropolitan.
- Registrar: Oversees the work of the Vital Registry, which provides authorization for, and maintains records of, sacramental activity within the Metropolis, specifically baptisms, chrismations, marriages, and funerals. Also coordinates the work of the regional Spiritual Courts which handle ecclesiastical divorces.
- Youth + Young Adult Ministries Director: Works with the Youth Commission and volunteers to ensure a full and rich ministry life to the youth (8-18) and young adults (18-35/40) within the Metropolis (except for the Camping Ministries). Is also the compliance Administrator for matters of Youth Safety and Protection in the Metropolis, coordinating parish compliance with local and state statutes, Metropolis policies, and Archdiocesan directives.
- Camping Ministries Coordinator: Responsible for the vibrant Summer Camp and Retreat programs serving our Youth in cooperation with the Camp Ministries Committee.
- Director of Greek Education: Oversees the work of parish Greek Educators, and provides opportunities for continuing education and resource sharing for the programs. Also coordinates the various Examinations (Ellinomathies and Regents' Exams) for HS and College credit.
- Receptionist + Chancellor's Assistant: Handles incoming communication and submission of administrative documentation (Clergy permission for travel, Parish Council ratifications, etc.), as well as various responsibilities within the Metropolis.
Senior clergy in each Region (Central, East, Northwest, and Southwest) who act as extensions of His Eminence's pastoral ministry, making themselves available for conflict resolution within (or between) parishes, and as supports for the local clergy and their families.
Clergy and lay leaders elected and appointed to serve a two-year term on the Council assist in advising His Eminence, leading the various ministries, and tending to the needs of the Metropolis.
Convened annually to discuss important matters in the life of the Metropolis, build up the leadership in the parishes, share relevant information from the Archdiocese, approve the annual budget, and (every other year) elect members to the Metropolis Council.